Ohio Association 4C Fall Meeting – Secretary Report
Tuesday October 17, 2017 – 9:30AM-2PM
First Congregational Church, 114 Church Street, Lodi, Ohio 44254
(This was a last-minute change –as the original location was Salem Evangelical in Marion)
Morning Worship was led by Dave Dake – We sang hymns a cappella – sounded good too!
Morning Message was Steven Miller, Wildwood Chapel, Upper Sandusky
- Steve shared about Rural American Mission, which is based in the western part of West Virginia. Steve has been involved in that ministry for a while. They do organize mission opportunities for churches that want to come to WV to serve those in need.
- Steve gave a message about encouraging our congregations to be a part of the Great Commission and to tell the stories of what God is doing in our midst.
- There was a good discussion as we were invited to share stories of how we have seen God at work. We learned how a “Cowboy Preacher” named Crowbar was able to lead “Calico Mary” to saving faith in Christ. (We now know the key to effective evangelism is to have a really cool cowboy preacher nickname. Silently in our heads we were all coming up with our new nicknames – I’m thinking I may go with Hacksaw!)
Lunch provided by First Congregational Church Lodi – (soup & salad was perfect)
Moderator John Hood called the Business Meeting together after lunch.
- Nancy Dake is embarking on a new ministry as a woman’s speaker – and is available for church groups and other women’s ministries.
- Jim Mathewson gave a demonstration of how to fold church flyers so that even chicken witnesses can be used by God. (This sounds like a great idea – I mean who can say no to a chicken with a church flyer. I’m not totally sure how to strap the flyer to the chicken and get them to walk up to non-believers, but I am working on this for our next outreach)
We discussed and set the following plans for the next OA meetings, if such are available.
Winter Banquet February 23rd at Malone University –
- Dave Dake will make the arrangements with the University
- Will Coley will contact Will Collens to speak about worship.
Spring Meeting April 24th at Parkman Congregational
- Lots of discussion on speakers
- We want to see if Ron Hamilton can come and lead us in a discussion of the 4C’s and our approach as pastors on social issues (such as the gender controversies and others)
We briefly touched on:
- 67th Annual Family Conference in Pittsburgh July 17-20 – It was another great meeting and Ohio had the third largest delegation.
The Treasurer’s Report: Jonathan Cheatham distributed copies of the Third Quarter Report, 9/30/17.
- Our Ohio CCCC Account has a balance of $1,737.30;
- The Barnabas Ministry Account balance $716.88
- We would appreciate any church or personal giving toward the Barnabas Ministry (send donations to Dave Dake in Lodi) and the Griffith Ministry (send donations to Clifford Associates) as the Lord may lead.
Barnabas Ministry Report -Dave Kimberly
- Dave gave an update on his goals and some new interesting opportunities.
- He shared some statistics about “The State of Pastors” from a recent Barna survey.
- He also told us of the Salvation Army’s request for 4,000 copies of the children’s book Gingerbread Boy’s Search for Christmas that his wife Joanne authored. It gives the plan of salvation that parents may read to their children. Dave is trying to raise $27,000 to fund the request so the Salvation Army can distribute the book throughout Ohio. If any are able to give toward the project, it would be a blessing. Contact Dave for details.
Jeff Griffith Report
- Jeff is now back in the town of Kralupy in the Czech Republic and has submitted a budget to the officers. Donations and accounting are handled through Clifford and Associates.
Submitted by Rev. Mitch “Hacksaw” Reed, OA4C Secretary